- According to Tony Robbins, there are two types of values: Moving-towards values and Moving-away-from values.
- Moving-towards values can be such as the following: love, connection, intimacy, health, respect, freedom, joy, sens of contribution, growth...
- Moving-away-from values can be: anger, despair, depression, frustration, anxiety, fear, disrespect, humiliation...
What's the difference between Values and Pain&Pleasure?
Pain&Pleasure are the ultimate driving forces. Each one of them comes in different levels. The Moving-towards values are different levels of Pleasure. The Moving-away-from values are levels of Pain.
How can we determine what our values are?
This is simple. Ask yourself these questions:
- What's the most important to me in life? This question gets you your Moving-towards life values
- What am trying to avoid the most in life? This question gets you your Moving-away-from life values
To get the correspondent values in your career, ask similar questions:
- What's the most important to me in career?
- What am trying to avoid the most in my career?
You can apply this set of questions to any areas you want.
Means Values (or End Values): The most important thing in my life is my Iphone
No, really. It's not your most important thing in your life. But think about what makes it so important. What does it bring to you? Maybe it makes you look trendy or cool. Maybe its applications make you laugh or maybe they break the routine.
These are called Means Values. They are values to an end. They don't have intrinsic value.
(photo credit: neil cummings )